Monday, February 20, 2006

The Good Pitch Blog - Mission & Guidelines

Welcome to the Good Pitch Blog.

This blog was inspired by the work of Richard Laermer and Kevin Dugan, at the Bad Pitch Blog. You are free to suggest that the idea was "ripped off" from those guys, but if things go as I intend, our paths will diverge soon enough. Anyway, this is a true case of "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery" because I applaud what's going on at the Bad Pitch Blog, and hope that Richard and Kevin see this as an homage to their efforts.

I'll tell ya right now: the Bad Pitch Blog will always be more interesting and entertaining than the Good Pitch Blog, just as a car crash is always more interesting than a smooth flow of traffic.

This site is dedicated to PR that WORKS, specifically, good pitches. Here are some guidelines:
  1. If you are a PR pro or agency principal: feel free to email me your best pitches. Hit me up as often and as many times as you like, regardless of whether the pitch "got ink." If I agree that it's a mighty-fine example of "what works," I will post it.
  2. I will not disclose your clients' names, even if you ask me to: this blog won't be about getting more link traffic for your clients. (Having said that, I am not going to go out of my way to disguise their identity beyond X'ing out the name.)
  3. I will disclose your name, and your agency affiliation, unless you ask me NOT to do so: I think great PR people deserve a l'il credit. Maybe someday you'll be able to put "Published in the Good Pitch Blog" on your resume? Or maybe a prospective employer will recognize your talent, and try to recruit you?
  4. If you are a journalist: please, give your favorite PR pros some love. Contributions from journalists and pro bloggers will receive special attention.
  5. Please read a few blog entries before submitting. Ideally your submission will be something I can cut&paste into a new post, if it makes the grade. I'll post a few examples soon, to give you an idea of what I am looking for in a quality submission. (I am kinda busy with work and, well, more work, so if you can make management of this blog easier for me, I'll appreciate it!)
There is no shortage of negativity about the PR game. Some influential journo-bloggers have even questioned our long-term viability. But I don't buy it. I see bright, creative, thoughtful people hard at work at our shop each day. I am sure that the same is true in all quality PR firms. So my gut tells me that our brightest era lies ahead.

There are greenhorns and bad apples in every profession. The mistakes of PR newbies get more attention because their errors are made in front of an audience with the tools and influence to call them out in a very public way.

Ideally, if this blog picks up some momentum, we can view it as an industry resource for best practices. Like the Bad Pitch Blog, we can be part of the solution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home